Apple Cake

I got this recipe from my Mother-in-Love, who got the recipe from her Father-in-Love. She makes this cake every time we go and visit, and any time they come to visit us. I am not a baker, but I haven't messed this up yet. I am a dump and pour kinda gal, and this is a great starting point. It takes a bit more effort, and a bundt pan, but this thick, yummy cake is well worth it! I did bring it one time to one of our meetings. I had pictures of the process at one point, but I lost them somewhere on this silly computer! Sorry!

GRANDPA'S APPLE CAKE

3 Eggs
2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Oil

2 Cups of Flour-slightly heaping
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda

1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 Green Apples
1 Cup Chopped Nuts
1 Cup Plumped Raisins*

*Before you do anything, grab a small pan or teapot and heat up 2 cups of water. Put the raisins into a bowl. Once it the water is hot, remove it from the heat and pour it over the raisins and let them sit and soak. It takes between 15 and 20 minutes to plump them-the longer the better! If they are not plump, the cake just won't be the same.

Move your oven rack to the center and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil or grease the bundt pan.

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until combined. I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Next, dump the flour on top of the wet mixture, and make a little volcano-like hole in it. Put the Salt and Baking Soda into the hole, and mix the dry ingredients together briefly with a fork before folding them into the wet mixture.

You can use a mixer to combine those ingredients, and either way, it will be a thicker batter.

Add the Vanilla and Cinnamon. I use about two teaspoons of cinnamon, since I like more cinnamon flavor.

Take your Green Apples, wash them and peel them, if you wish. I don't peel mine, but I'm weird (aka lazy). Core them and slice them. I don't cut mine up ahead of time since I have to wait for the raisins. I also don't like to look at brown apples! I generally have about 8 apple slices per apple. Next, cut the slices the other way and make small pieces, and throw them into the bowl.

Add the chopped nuts (walnuts work well) or you can use 1/4 cup of ground flax seed (in place of, or as a substitute for half of the nuts.)

Drain the raisins and add them and use a spoon to stir and fold all of the ingredients together. If the mixture seems too thick, you can add a half cup of applesauce (or one of the individual size servings) if you have it on hand. You can also use a bit more oil. I will take my spoon and take a scoop and hold it upside down over the bowl. It shouldn't cling forever, but it shouldn't run right off either.

Spoon the mixture into the bundt pan and wipe off any excess from above the batter line. Put it into the oven. Close the door and set the timer for 1 hour. Do not open the door to check on it or the cake will fall into itself.

When the timer goes off, DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR! Turn off the oven, and set the timer for 15 minutes. Once the timer goes off the second time, it is time to pull it out of the oven. Allow it to cool on a rack in the bundt pan for a few minutes, then you can take it out. I just lay a plate over the top and then flip it over and shake a bit.

It is FANTASTIC warm from the oven, but my husband and I argue whether or not it is even better the next day!

No comments:

MOPS Tea Party 2008

MOPS Tea Party 2008
Looking Good Girls!